Mmmmmmmmmmm is all I can think to write when I think about pulled jackfruit.
Jackfruit is a type of fruit grown in tropical areas that grows to be ginormous. You can eat them when they are ripe and they taste just like juicy fruit gum. You can also eat jackfruit when it is unripe, which has a completely different taste, and that’s how you make this beautiful ‘pulled’ jackfruit. I call it pulled jackfruit because it has the same texture as pulled pork. In my honest opinion pulled jackfruit is WAY more juicer than pulled pork and it absorbs the flavours more. Not to mention jackfruit is so nutritious as it’s high in fibre, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, magnesium, it’s rich in antioxidants and contains protein.
All you need for this recipe is a good BBQ sauce as the jackfruit takes on whatever flavour you put it with. I go to my local health food shop to get my BBQ sauces and try to find brands that don’t have sugar in them and the fewer the ingredients the better. BBQ sauces tend to have lots of preservatives and sugar so be sure to read the label! Alternatively if you’re not as lazy as me you can make your own BBQ sauce.
I recently made an Instagram post with a pulled jackfruit sandwhich and realized from the comments that not everyone has heard of it before. I have been eating plant-based for 5 years now and what seems to be obvious to me may not be known to everyone. When I took a picture of my sandwhich my husband said ‘you should put that recipe on your blog’ and I actually laughed at him because its such an easy recipe I thought it wouldn’t make for a very good post.
One of the reasons I started the Greenerer was because I wanted to share everything I have learned about this plant-based lifestyle to anyone who didn’t know where to start. I have done so much research since turning plant-based on nutrition, cooking, green products, clothing, etc. that I wanted an outlet to share everything I have learned in the hopes that I could help someone. Some people don’t or won’t have time to spend researching everything I have just to live this lifestyle, so let me do the research and recipe testing for you, so you can just enjoy all the benefits.
- 1 can unripe young jackfruit*
- 3/4 cup all natural BBQ sauce
- 1 tsp paprika *optional
- 1 tsp garlic powder *optional
- 1/4 tsp chili powder *optional
- additional ingredients depending what you are making:
- buns/taco shells/tortillas
*be sure the canned jackfruit is in water or brine not syrup. You can find canned jackfruit in any Asian grocery store and some health food shops. I get mine from Noahs (in Toronto).
What to do:
- Rinse and drain the young jackfruit
- If using spices put the jackfruit in a bowl and mix all the spices into it
- Put the jackfruit in a pan, with a weeny bit of oil on medium heat and heat for about 5 minutes
- Add in the BBQ sauce and once it reaches a low boil let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Assemble your meal depending on if you are making tacos, sandwiches, or burritos