I am not going to lie that cooking tofu scrambles has always intimidated me. I would occasionally order it at some vegan restaurants; some tasted bad. Until I went on a trip to New York and had the best breakfast I’ve ever had and yes it involved a tofu scramble. Since returning home I longed for that amazing tofu scramble so I tried to re-create it and if I do say so myself I did a damn good job. Now I can stop the cravings AND its healthy, delicious and so easy to make. That’s what I call a win-win.
This tofu scramble is full of delicious nutrient-rich veggies and protein packed, which makes it the ideal weekend breakfast for champions. Red peppers are high in antioxidants, vitamin C and boosts your metabolism, mushrooms are high in zinc, the kale adds fiber and the spices, especially turmeric, are anti-inflammatory for the body. Its also warm, filling and utterly delicious and the best part is that its so simple to make, yet packed with a ridiculous amount of flavour.
- 150g firm tofu
- 1/4 yellow onion
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 cup kale
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp pink salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1 tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- pepper to taste
What to do:
- Wrap the block of tofu in some paper towels and put something heavy on top of it to help drain and dry the tofu out
- Cut up the onion, red pepper, mushrooms and kale
- Mix the garlic powder, turmeric, coriander powder, oregano and salt in a small bowl then add the water, stir and set aside
- Heat the EVOO in a pan on medium high heat and add the chopped onion, red pepper and mushrooms to it for approx. 3-5 minutes and season with pepper
- Add the chopped kale to the pan and cook another 1-2 minutes
- While that’s cooking, start crumbling the tofu up with either a fork or your hands and put the veggies on one side of the pan and add the tofu to the other side and heat for 1 minute
- Pour the majority of the sauce over the tofu and a little bit over the veggies and stir everything together for another 5 minutes and serve!